Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Red Oak Comfort Food & Pie Co. - CLOSED

This past Tuesday for lunch, two co-workers and I went to The Red Oak Comfort Food & Pie Co. I remember reading an article about The Red Oak opening a restaurant in downtown Bloomington. It is located on Main St. across from Reality Bites.

The menu was full of Swedish "comfort food" dishes. We each decided to order a sandwich which came with a choice of salad, applesauce, or cottage cheese for a side.

I ordered Linnea's Delight which consisted of sliced turkey, lingonberries, dilled cream cheese, and candied pecans served on a croissant. I never had lingonberries before, and neither had my co-workers, but I have to say the sweet taste of the lingonberries with the other ingredients on the sandwich meshed very well. To me, lingonberries are a cross between raspberry, cranberry, and strawberry. It has a sweet jam/preserve taste. I chose a salad as my side and got Creamy Bacon (Yummy!) for the dressing.



One co-worker ordered The Biff, an open faced sandwich, that consisted of slices of roast beef topped with cucumber salad, and mayo-mustard sauce. The other co-worker ordered the Chicken Salad, another open faced sandwich, that consisted of chunks of chicken, crunchy almonds, celery, and cucumber and tomato slices. Both co-workers also chose a salad as their side and selected the house dressing.

All three of us really enjoyed our lunch. While we were waiting for our food to come out, we looked at the pie menu and decided to each get a slice. One co-worker ordered a slice of Dutch Apple and the other co-worker and I ordered a slice of Cherry. We all agreed that the pies were very good and that we would be back to take a whole one home.




We definitely recommend this place for lunch. The prices are reasonable and the service is good. They are open M-F from 11am-3pm and will be open in the fall for breakfast on Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment